2012-06-10

How to fail 4 times in 20 seconds

Today I killed our recruiter.

foxxytiger is a great girl to have on board in any corp, and I have had the pleasure to work with her since way back in the beginning of 2010. She's a bit reluctant pvp'er thou, and since she is often the only one around when I want to go and try something stupid, she often have to tag along and vitness my fails from the first row.

This time we had a scout telling us that there was a Dominix and a Oracle hanging on the highsec WH. Normally we don't mess with highsec WH games, it's usually pointless. But this time the ships in question was part of a small war going on in our static C2. We obviously had got involved and now it would be of use to us, if not to kill them, so at least to push them out into highsec.

Well, we quickly kicked the great and mighty war machine of Transmission Lost (now the largest w-space alliance) into gear. That is, me and foxxy jumped into some T1 ships :)

I got into a Mega, with the idea to just blast closest thing at the WH, forcing them to jump. foxxy have been fiddling around with a Oracle-fit lately, and since she got nasty laser-skills, we thought it was time to try it out for real.

Enter fail 1.

Our static was a wolf rayet, making the resists on my armor Mega 18% stronger, but at the same time makes the already skimpy "tank" on the Oracle 18% less resistant. With her BS skills and the bonus in the system we would have been much better of with a Geddon.

When we warped to the WH I expected to see the ships hugging the hole in the usual way, but when we landed they was actually 40km off! Fail intel on our part, and I had acted on it. Darn, darn, darn. Had I known they was not in jumping-distance we would obviously have gotten a warpin right ontop of them - fail number 2.

Ok, so we ended up with a Mega on the WH, the Domi 40km off and the Oracle somewhere around the same range. Foxxy had warped to range, so I don't know if she was in perfect optimal, way off or right on top of the enemy Oracle. Making good decisions in short time when you need to change the plan is a good mark of a pvp'er. I'm obviously not that, because I continued to make mistakes. Say hello to mr fail 3.

Instead of just gunning for the closest ship (prolly the Domi, it's hard to catch a Oracle in a Megathron) using the fact that they was not in jumping-range, I hesitated, staying t the WH. And if that was not enough, I for some reason called the Domi primary (assuming that that was the only thing we could get point on). The result was that while trying to chew through a BS tank with resist bonuses (wolf rayet) in a ship that was way out of optimal, their Oracle managed to get the mega down so much I had to jump.

In all fairness their dominix was in low armor too now, but as they turned their guns on foxxy she misjudged the time to get into warp and lost the Oracle. I don't think she was pointed at the time, so losing a ship that's free to warp is always a bit of a fail. Fail number 4 in this case.

Well well, we do this to learn and to have fun, next time she will have a much better feel for when to bail.

So what should we have done then?

Apart from failing to scout the situation correctly (ON the WH is not exactly the same as 40km off), if I had told foxxy to go for their Oracle at the same time as I burned to the Domi to get a point, we would most likely have ended up with a Domi-kill and possibly even a Oracle, if that pilot made same mistake as foxxy...

Same situation, two totally different outcomes, and all dependent on a bad call. Maybe this all comes naturally to everybody else, but for me, the number of stupid things I can pull off is just staggering. It bothers me that it's so bloody obvious things.

Maybe I'm never going to get good at this...

No comments: