Opportunism is the conscious policy and practice of taking selfish advantage of circumstances – with little regard for principles, or with what the consequences are for others.[1] Opportunist actions are expedient actions guided primarily by self-interested motives. The term can be applied to individual humans and living organisms, groups, organizations, styles, behaviours, and trends.
I'll give you a few simple examples.
Today I needed to sell some loot. There was nobody from my corp on, and no activity in our static, so this was a good time to make the trip to Jita. I never wait for a "good exit", instead I use the one we have and chose a time and ship that makes it safe enough to use it, even if it happens to be a lowsec. And when I get to highsec, I just switch on the autopilot. Then I can go do something else while doing the jumps to Jita. Which was 18 jumps today.
Opportunism sometimes is the ability to get things done.
When I got back from Jita I had 15 min before downtime. I checked our home system for any new sigs, but there was none. However, we had a bountiful Ladar-site, and I knew it had been initiated so I warped there to see if the sleeper-spawn still was there, which they where. Back to the POS, switch into one of our corp Drakes (R-NAT makes it easy to grab opportunities by supplying some basic ships), killed the sleepers, switched into a Noctis (another corp-supplied ship) and salvaged the site with 5 min to spare. 17.6M in 10 min is not that bad. The gas itself I leave to somebody else to take advantage of :)The loot I sold today was from my solo-plexing I did yesterday. It was around 400M worth of loot and salvage from four C4 sites. One of the sites was in our home system, and the opportunity there was in the form of a not opened static and no incoming wormholes. 30 min later the site was done and salvaged (150M).
The three other sites I did in the static C4 out of our static C2. The C2 was inhabited, but there had been no activity in there in several days, same with the C4. The C4 had a static C6 but no other wormholes (except from the K162 back to the C2 ofc). I took a chance that neither of the static C6 nor the static HS in the C2 was not opened, and did 3 of the sites in the C4. Doing sites solo without eyes on the incoming WH is granted a big risk, but everything in w-space is a risk vs. reward calculation.
This time I got back home un-ganked, and 250M richer.
Talking about ganks, every new WH-connection is a chance of finding somebody, doing something that you can take advantage of. By scanning down WHs and scouting them you create those chances. And when you do find somebody, it's up to you to figure out how to best use the opportunity you created for yourself.
No comments:
Post a Comment