2012-09-13

W-space: Fighting outnumbered

As you might know, we usually roll with pretty few ships. So when we get contact with somebody that are up for a fight we often need to figure out some kind of plan to create a chance to kill something. If we just say "they outnumber us" and stand down we are not going to learn anything...

Engagement should be a given. Only question for us should be how to kill any of the enemy fleet, and if possible without losing too much ISK in the process.

So, more super small scale pvp followed when we encountered Pyrrus Inc last night, and they was more then up for it!

R.I.P brave Nightmare

It all started with a cool little incident in a C5 that Sephi found. Some brave soul (or idiotic?) tried to solo a C5 anom in a Nightmare. It did not go well. Before Sephi could grab the loot a Legion appeared and looted the wreck. He had a hard time getting away from all the scramming frigs, but after a while he could warp off.

This C5 had a wormhole to a C2 in our chain, so Sephi jumped back into the C2 and I joined to have eyes on the C5 WH. We was both flying cloaky Protei. Nothing happend for some time, so I gave up and headed home.

Outnumbered and outgunned

Then all of a sudden Sephi announced that a navy Geddon had jumped through into the C2! She pointed and followed it when it jumped back into the C5. I made best speed towards the C5, but by the time I arrived they had added two Drakes and another geddon to the mix, so Sephi had to retreat.

The two drakes followed into the C2 and we stared at them cloaked for a bit. All of their ships was quite tanky and the geddons could seriously hurt, so we headed back home towards Natalie.

Opportunity kill of a dangerous Buzzard

On the way back Sephi jumped into one of their scouts flying a Buzzard. This particular buzzard had not only the intent to hunt down and kill signatures, it had bad intentions all around. It had an AB, a point and an ASB! Most definitely made to survive until his bigger friends came along.

Sephi managed to web it and sent her drones to kill it. It worked out well.

Games at the home wormhole

When Sephi killed the Buzzard I was back in Natalie (our home C4) switching into a Talos. I thought that if I could catch one of the Drakes by itself I might have a chance. Maybe they had started to jump towards their scout when Sephi was killing it?

I was hanging at our static C2 WH in that Talos when one of their Drakes jumped in. I quickly got my guns on it but did not have the balls to stay in scram range, instead I orbited a out of jump-range of the WH. The Talos was short range gank-fit without any kind of tank, so I guess I chickened out a bit.

Natalie is a Magnetar, and there that Talos do 1500 dps point blank, so a Drake would not last long. I should have just gone for it, followed him through when he had to jump and killed him on the other side. Instead he jumped in half shields and I could not follow. Right ship, right target, correct positioning, but fail in execution.

Trying to kill a Sabre

Sephi was still in Gloria and reported that one of them had shipped into a Sabre (interdictor). So Drake, Geddon, Geddon, Sabre... Hmm.. maybe I could slip into something small and go for that Sabre?

Sounds like a plan! I frantically sift through our ships (many are taken out to Empire since we are in the middle of a move to a deeper system) but cant find the Enyo I'm looking for. Instead I find a Blarpy. Good enough. Or at least lets hope it is.

Back to the static WH I go! Sephi reporting that they are all on the other side with the Sabre right on the WH.

I jump and go strait for the Sabre. I don't know if they had eyes in Natalie, but I hope I manage to surprise just a little bit. Almost directly when I jump I realise my misstake. The Sabre can just jump into Natalie and back and I can only jump back into Nat before I get polarized. Stupid!

That is almost exactly what happens, the Sabre takes the fight into Natalie, and I follow. They all jump with me. I fail to kill the Sabre, and thus have to eat space dust.

It was a good plan, and I was fairly close to getting the Sabre in problems (even if he could just have jumped back out if seriously in trouble).

What we should have done was use Sephi to bait them to jump into Natalie where we could have popped the Sabre. If he jumped back out, I could have followed and possibly got point and web on him. But you never know. As it was, it was the second execution fail of the evening.

At least I did what I could. All in all a very good night. Mucho lessons learnt!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

at least you had fun :-)

pjharvey said...

That's some good flying you're doing. Making the other fleet hurt, even if you come out worse, is a good goal, and learning from mistakes is vital in improving.

I like to think I do the same, but I'm sure I tend to shy away from many of the same situations.